We all love to send it big, and heck, I’ve nearly made a career for myself doing so, but we also need to be realistic about when it makes sense to take a big risk. If you find an obstacle that you don’t understand exactly how to ride, it’s a sign that you’re on the verge of getting hurt.
I had to swallow my pride and take a chill pill on this drop. I thought I’d really regret that, but as I sit here recovering from a recent concussion and separated shoulder, I’m pretty OK with walking this one. This day in Utah, I was tired after 3 days of riding and coaching. I hadn’t hit many Utah style drops like that on the new bike and fork. And I was in a bit of a rush to both beat the rain and catch a flight home that afternoon.
While editing this, I stumbled across a shot of local pro, and Redbull Rampage podium finisher, Logan Binggeli. Logan is riding the trail- and sure enough, he kept his wheels on the ground down the drop that I skipped. See that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_CFaKqO0g Had I known that is the right way to ride that, well, I’d probably have done it! But I’m glad to have avoided the repercussions of not being truly prepared. And now that I know how to ride that line- I’ll be back!
Tylar’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tlaity/
Brian’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hobbs46/
If Tylar is familiar, it’s because I met him during this clinic:
Four years back, I for sure would have sent it off this thing!
My new athlete page over at Jenson USA: https://www.jensonusa.com/blog/rider-profile-JKW
My riding tutorials posted through June 2020:
- My 3 favorite skills drills: https://www.patreon.com/posts/if-i-could-only-38809964
- How to manual: https://www.patreon.com/posts/how-to-manual-37684861
- Cutty: https://www.patreon.com/posts/36579859
- Manual a berm: https://www.patreon.com/posts/35496772
- How to ride in Sedona: https://www.patreon.com/posts/34436065
- Switchbacks: https://www.patreon.com/posts/3-ways-to-33345804
- Nosewheelie: https://www.patreon.com/posts/32742504
- Bump jump: https://www.patreon.com/posts/31881231
- Trials basics for trail riders: https://www.patreon.com/posts/31145344
- Tight berms: https://www.patreon.com/posts/30389457
- Aggressive braking: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29579507
- Confidence for mountain biking: https://www.patreon.com/posts/28817411
- Cornering: https://www.patreon.com/posts/27981205
- Flowing/pumping down the trail: https://www.patreon.com/posts/27288868
- Stoppie through turns: https://www.patreon.com/posts/26296762
- Technical climbing: https://www.patreon.com/posts/25234847
- Boost jumps: https://www.patreon.com/posts/24161821
- Bunnyhop: https://www.patreon.com/posts/23396959
- Utilizing the wheelie on the trail: https://www.patreon.com/posts/23017910
- How to wheelie: https://www.patreon.com/posts/21879606
JKW Koozies available now!
Join my email newsletter/riding tips/new content digest: http://eepurl.com/gbSvF9
Big thanks to these guys for making this all possible! Any purchases from these links will directly help support my channel as well:
Jenson USA: https://bit.ly/JensonUSA2022JKW
Industry Nine: https://bit.ly/IndustryNine2022JKW
PNW Components: https://bit.ly/PNWComponents2022JKW
Kitsbow Cycling Apparel: http://bit.ly/KitsbowJKW
Kali Protectives: http://bit.ly/KaliJKW
Ibis Cycles: http://bit.ly/IbisJKW