I have been mountain biking since 1996, and in those 23 years, have certainly had my fair share of big crashes. Somehow I have never been knocked out, nor even suffered a severe concussion. The other day we were shooting with Brandon to learn about his magazine (https://freehubmag.com/) and I seriously misjudged a small roller.
I was attempting to duplicate what Brandon did, a nice little jump to the side of the trail. Unfortunately, I gave it a little too much pepper and went about two bike lengths past the landing, washing my front end out, and smashing my face and shoulder into tree roots.
Yes, I know concussions can need up to 8 weeks to allow the brain to fully heal again. While I did not get amnesia, nor was I knocked out for a sizeable amount, I still believe this was indeed a concussion. I’m going to take between 4 and 8 weeks off the bike, assessing myself every day, to determine when I can safely get back to some mellow riding. I WILL NOT be riding anything high performance until I’m 100%.
Stay tuned- lots of great content to come thanks to Jenson USA, and you can check them out here via my affiliate link: https://www.jensonusa.com/blog/rider-profile-JKW
Ever notice that PNW logo on my handlebars? No, I’m not repping my locale that hard- or wait, maybe I am- but that’s actually a company that my friend Aaron runs! PNW Components makes some high end controls, including bars, stems, grips, dropper posts, levers, and a few other awesome items. Have a peek at their beautiful site through my affiliate link here: https://bit.ly/PNWcomponentsJKW
My Patreon tutorials posted through April 2020:
- How to manual: https://www.patreon.com/posts/how-to-manual-37684861
- Cutty: https://www.patreon.com/posts/36579859
- Manual a berm: https://www.patreon.com/posts/35496772
- How to ride in Sedona: https://www.patreon.com/posts/34436065
- Switchbacks: https://www.patreon.com/posts/3-ways-to-33345804
- Nosewheelie: https://www.patreon.com/posts/32742504
- Bump jump: https://www.patreon.com/posts/31881231
- Trials basics for trail riders: https://www.patreon.com/posts/31145344
- Tight berms: https://www.patreon.com/posts/30389457
- Aggressive braking: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29579507
- Confidence for mountain biking: https://www.patreon.com/posts/28817411
- Cornering: https://www.patreon.com/posts/27981205
- Flowing/pumping down the trail: https://www.patreon.com/posts/27288868
- Stoppie through turns: https://www.patreon.com/posts/26296762
- Technical climbing: https://www.patreon.com/posts/25234847
- Boost jumps: https://www.patreon.com/posts/24161821
- Bunnyhop: https://www.patreon.com/posts/23396959
- Utilizing the wheelie on the trail: https://www.patreon.com/posts/23017910
- How to wheelie: https://www.patreon.com/posts/21879606
JKW Koozies available now!
Join my email newsletter/riding tips/new content digest: http://eepurl.com/gbSvF9
Big thanks to these guys for making this all possible! Any purchases from these links will directly help support my channel as well: